A lot of religious people, especially environmentalists (but even some Christians), consider petroleum a sin. By contrast, here are some reasons that oil is a righteous investment:
(1) Oil is a plentiful energy source which was created by a good God who made all things for our benefit (Genesis 1-2).
(2) Oil is the energy of choice which fuels production in world’s strongest economies and helps to provide for the general well-being of billions of people.
(3) Oil is was provided by our Creator as an extremely efficient fuel source, unlike ethanol and other biofuels which derive from grains and other foods, which God provides to us for food because he loves us. The use of biofuels has led to an increase in global food prices which have greatly hurt the poor. The consumption of oil and other petroleum products such as natural gas and coal have no such negative consequences for the world food market.
(4) Oil is proving to be a renewable resource and not a fossil fuel. Therefore, it is not something that we will run out of; we will not see Armeggedon because we run out of oil, but perhaps if we are not allowed to exploit sources of oil that we know exist.
(5) Anthropogenic global warming is a hoax. Therefore, there is no substance to the main argument against oil–the fear that the planet will turn into a ball of fire.